You may not think about the importance or function of it often, however, the lens of your eye is a crucial component to your everyday life. What happens if that lens becomes clouded? Cataracts occur as a build-up of proteins inside the lens that turns it from clear to cloudy. Described as seeing through a frosted window, cataracts condition is a clouded vision that makes easy tasks far more difficult.
If you have or believe you may be developing cataracts, it’s important to visit an eye clinic in Brampton for an eye exam. Below, Blink Vision Care has the causes, symptoms and solutions for this eye condition.
Causes of Cataracts
Most often, cataracts develop as a result of ageing or an injury that has affected the tissues of the eye’s lens. The additional common causes of cataracts include:
- Ultraviolet radiation
- Smoking frequently
- Eyes exposed to the sun without protection
- Radiation exposure
- Steroid medication use
- High blood sugar
- Family history
- Eye injury/inflammation
Symptoms of Cataracts
Cataract symptoms are not painful, however, they can be extremely irritating. Some of the symptoms to look out for include the following:
- Clouded, dim or blurred sight
- Difficulty seeing at night
- Sensitivity to glare or bright light
- Viewing “halos” around lights
- Yellowing colours or faded colours
- Double vision in one eye
- Needing brighter lighting to read or write
Treatment and Prevention for Cataracts
Although there are no studies to prove the complete prevention of cataracts, there are specific strategies that can help treat the condition. Here are some of them:
- Have Routine Eye Exams: It’s imperative to your eye health to schedule routine eye examinations with Blink Vision Care. Eye doctors can detect cataracts or other eye problem issues at earlier stages before you notice symptoms. This can help combat cataracts much more easily.
- Quit Smoking: Finding ways to quit smoking is important for your overall health and your eye health as well.
- Eyeglasses: New eyeglasses can be beneficial in helping your eyesight improve and be more clear. If you have cataract surgery, our eye doctors may prescribe reading glasses with progressive lenses or photochromic lenses.
- Cataract Surgery: If symptoms of cataract appear, surgery may be the only viable solution to improve your daily life. Cataract surgery is a relatively painless treatment to restore vision by removing the lens that’s clouded and in most cases, replace it with an IOL, which is plastic and completely clear intraocular lens. Recovery also only takes about four to six weeks to heal and allow the eye to recover completely.
Blink Vision Care takes pride in our commitment to providing customers with comprehensive, effective eye care solutions. Our eye clinic in Brampton carries a vast selection of high-quality, luxury and affordable eyeglasses from a variety of brands for your style. We also specialize in eye exams and eyeglass fittings to ensure accurate fit of your lenses and optimal vision. Book an eye exam with us or eyeglass fitting at https://blinkvisioncare.com/book-eye-exam/